Baby Left In Bathtub Drowns While Florida Parents Slept

Baby Left In Bathtub Drowns While Florida Parents Sleep

HOBE SOUND, Florida – A 9-month-old baby boy drowned when he was left unattended in a bathtub while his parents slept around 11:30 a.m. on Friday, December 20, 2019, in Hobe Sound, Florida.

According to the Martin County Sheriff’s Office, the child’s parents found the infant face down in the water after the mother, Heather Clifford, told investigators she left him in the bathtub unattended for at least 20-minutes.

The child’s father, Shawn Stewart Davis, told detectives he was sleeping when the baby’s mother woke him up to tell him that their son, Cameron Davis, was in the tub face down and was blue.

Despite efforts by dispatchers giving CPR instructions to the parents, and further efforts by deputies and Martin County firefighters to revive the baby boy, the child was pronounced deceased at the hospital.

Two other children under the age of five were also in the home at the time of the drowning.

The Florida Department of Children and Families has since removed the other children from the home.

The Martin County Sheriff’s Office has responded to the home at least three times in the past, one of which was to assist DCF in a matter.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday. The Sherriff’s Office says that investigators will work closely with the State Attorney’s Office to determine if either parent will face charges.