Amtrak Cancels Northeastern Routes, Including Some To Florida
Amtrak will operate most Northeast Regional trains between Philadelphia and Washington starting on Monday, Aug. 29. All Amtrak service between Boston and Philadelphia is canceled due to the extensive flooding, debris on tracks, and power issues as a result of Hurricane Irene. In addition, all Acela Express service between Boston and Washington is canceled.
Amtrak crews continue to inspect and make repairs to the infrastructure along the Northeast Corridor.
As of 7 p.m. on August 28, the following trains with origination dates of Monday, Aug. 29 will operate:
- Most Northeast Regional trains between Washington and Philadelphia
- Northeast Regional train 171 will operate Philadelphia to Lynchburg
- Maple Leaf (Washington – Toronto) will operate between Toronto and Niagara Falls only
- Capitol Limited Train 29 and 30 (Chicago – Washington)
- Piedmont Trains 73, 74, 75, 76 (Charlotte – Raleigh)
- Carolinian Trains 79 and 80 will operate between Charlotte and Raleigh only
- Silver Star Trains 91 and 92 will operate between Jacksonville and Miami only
As of 7 p.m. August 28, the following cancellations have been made for origination dates of Monday, Aug. 29:
- Acela Express
- Northeast Regional trains between Boston and Philadelphia
- Northeast Regional trains between Washington and Newport News
- Keystone Service canceled through the morning
- Empire Service (New York – Albany)
- Maple Leaf (Washington – Toronto) canceled between Washington and Buffalo; trains will operate between Toronto and Niagara Falls
- Downeaster (Portland – Boston)
- Springfield Shuttles
- Crescent Trains 19 and 20 (New York – New Orleans)
- Pennsylvanian Trains 42 and 43 (Pittsburgh – New York)
- Lake Shore Limited Trains 48, 49, 448 and 449 (Chicago – New York)
- Auto Train Trains 52 and 53 (Sanford, Fla. – Lorton, Va.)
- Carolinian Trains 79 and 80 (New York – Charlotte, N.C.) canceled between New York and Raleigh only; trains will operate between Raleigh and Charlotte
- Palmetto Trains 89 and 90 (New York – Savannah)
- Silver Star Trains 91 and 92 (New York -Tampa – Miami) canceled between New York and Jacksonville; trains will operate between Jacksonville and Miami
- Silver Meteor Trains 97 and 98 (New York – Miami)
Passengers who have paid for travel on canceled trains can contact Amtrak to receive refunds without fee or penalty or can rebook for future travel. If tickets have not yet printed, the refund/rebook can be done on Amtrak.com or the new and free Amtrak iPhone app.
This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.