Categories: Palm Bay

Cleaning Chemicals Blamed For Palm Bay House Fire

PALM BAY, Florida — A probable reaction among cleaning chemicals stored in a garage is being blamed for sparking a fire that caused approximately $25,000 damage to a home on Zanzibar Street S.E. in Palm Bay, Florida, according to city spokesperson Yvonne Martinez.
Just before 3 a.m. on Sunday, residents located at 1344 Zanzibar Street S.E. awoke to the sound of smoke alarms in the home.  They immediately began removing animals and personal items and evacuating the residence.
Propane fuel tanks in the garage began to explode as firefighters responded.  Nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution.  Firefighters contained the fire to the garage area of the home.
Further investigation by the fire marshal determined the fire appeared to be accidental as a result of a probable chemical reaction with linseed and other cleaners stored on a shelf.  The American Red Cross is assisting the family.  No one was injured.

Copyright 2011-2023 Brevard Times. All Rights Reserved.  Contact Us   Privacy Policy